Sunday, July 15, 2012

Quick trip out to Inyokern (IYK) yesterday to drop off "The Claw" tie downs to a OSH bound pilot. Heat of the day and it was bumpy. I planned CCB - L00 - IYK  to avoid the restricted airspace over Edwards AFB R-2515. On the way out I thought I heard "N64GH cleared through R-2515 at or above 7000". Now I did not think they ever cleared you through the restricted airspace out there. I was not sure I heard the transmission correctly and not wanting to sound like a dope on the radio I just flew on my planed route (cutting across R-2515 would not save that much time any way). I got to IYK gave Axel the "Claw" and started my return trip. This time I was 100% sure I heard "N64GH you are cleared through R-2515 at or above 7000". I thought about it checked my chart and sure enough just as I thought R-2515 is right over Edwards and the lake bead. HISTORIC airspace in aviation. So just to make sure (I did not care about sounding like a dope this time) I keyed up and asked "So I am cleared direct to Cable then". The response was "YES". I was EXCITED! I keyed in Direct CCB on my GPS and let my AP take me right over Edwards AFB and the dry lake. I was seeing the same sights from the same airspace as the likes of Chuck Yeager and in my little plane! I wish I had my camera, rats!

OK not much of a big deal to those that know they clear you through that airspace often and no big deal to those that do not fly and probabily not a big deal to most of those that do fly. BUT TO ME IT WAS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great day of flying yesterday in my book (turbulence and all) just because of that few minutes spent over some of the most historic airspace in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment